Saturday morning fire leaves Springfield family homeless - CBS 3 Springfield - WSHM

Saturday morning fire leaves Springfield family homeless

Posted: Updated:
SPRINGFIELD, MA (WSHM) -

One family was forced to evacuate their apartment building due to a fire Saturday morning.

Crews were called to the complex at 653 State St. around 8:20 a.m.

Dennis Leger, aide to Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant, told CBS 3 that the fire started in a second-floor bedroom after an electric iron was heated and left on a bed.

The bed clothing and mattress ignited, leading to other objects in the room burning.

Leger said the bedroom was gutted by flames.

According to Leger, the family on the second floor was forced to leave due to the fire, while a first floor family suffered water damage from the firefighters' hoses, but he expected them to be able to stay.

Leger estimated the damage to be between $5,000 and $10,000.

Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.