Authorities: Electrical failure caused deadly fire - CBS 3 Springfield - WSHM

Authorities: Electrical failure caused deadly fire

Posted: Updated:

LOWELL, Mass. (AP) - Authorities say a Massachusetts apartment building fire that killed seven people was an accident caused by an electrical failure that began in a concealed space between two floors.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan says the pre-dawn fire burned undetected for a long time Thursday in the void space before a rush of oxygen turned it into an inferno.

Coan says fireworks were in the building and detonated at some point but didn't play a role in starting the blaze.

The cause was announced Tuesday during a news conference at a Lowell fire station located 100 yards from the scene of the blaze.

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan identified the victims as Torn Sak, his longtime girlfriend, Ellen Vuong, three of their five children, 38-year-old Tina Christakos and 72-year-old Robert Downs.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.