Fire caused by multi-story marijuana grow traps 5 dogs - CBS 3 Springfield - WSHM

Fire caused by multi-story marijuana grow traps 5 dogs

Posted: Updated:
Springfield firefighters extinguished a blaze at 80 Massachusetts Ave. Saturday night. Springfield firefighters extinguished a blaze at 80 Massachusetts Ave. Saturday night.
SPRINGFIELD, MA (WSHM) -

A multi-story marijuana grow operation led to an electrical fire that trapped multiple dogs inside a city home Saturday night.

Springfield police and fire departments responded to 80 Massachusetts Ave. just before 8 p.m. after someone reported smoke coming from the address and noted the trapped dogs, according to Springfield police Sgt. John Delaney.

First responders arrived to find smoke billowing from the third floor. Firefighters quickly put the fire out, but in the process they found that the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction involved with the indoor marijuana garden on the second and third floors, Delaney said.

Narcotics detectives responded and confiscated numerous plants and marijuana growing equipment. No arrests have been made, but the case remains under investigation, Delaney said.

In addition to the marijuana plants, police found five pit bulls inside the apartment that were not properly being cared for. Animal control responded and confiscated the animals, Delaney said.

Firefighters estimate the damage to the building is $25,000 to $50,000. Two residents were left homeless following the fire.

Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.