Firefighters were called into action Sunday morning in the city's North End.
They responded to an apartment fire shortly before 6 a.m. at the building on 3008 Main St.
Dennis Leger, aide to Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant, said the reported structure fire turned out to be a kitchen fire in a third floor apartment.
Leger said unattended cooking is to blame.
He estimated the damage to be somewhere between $7,000 and $8,000.
The fire was knocked down quickly, which allowed the tenant to remain in the apartment.
There were no injuries.
Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.