A fire was reported on Belmont Street just before 2 p.m. Monday, but everyone was able to get out of the home safely.
The flames were extinguished about 2:20 p.m.
The fire started on a second-floor porch of the three-floor home at 776 Belmont St.
Dennis Leger, aide to Commissioner Joseph Conant, told CBS 3 the cause of the fire was an improper disposal of smoking materials.
The home sustained roughly $30,000 in damages.
The Red Cross is assisting two families who were affected by the fire.
Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.