Southwick garage fire caused by illegal burn - CBS 3 Springfield - WSHM

Update

Southwick garage fire caused by illegal burn

Posted: Updated:
SOUTHWICK, MA (WSHM) -

Shortly before 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, the fire department was called into action on Feeding Hills Road.

Officials confirmed Monday that the cause of the fire was an illegal burn barrel outside of the garage. When wind speeds picked up, the flames spread to the garage.

Officials told CBS 3 that when they arrived, the garage to the house was fully engulfed in flames and the fire had started to spread to the rest of the house.

They said an initial push by the first firefighters on the scene allowed them to push the fire back to just the garage area.

Southwick fire Chief Richard Anderson estimated the damage to be anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000.

Officials said a preliminary investigation appeared to show that it started due to illegal burning that was happening outside.

Anderson said things could have been much worse if the fire happened at a different part of the day.

The Southwick Fire Department was assisted by Agawam on the scene.

Suffield, CT, firefighters provided station coverage.

Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.