Two Springfield families homeless after fire in nearby home - CBS 3 Springfield - WSHM

Two Springfield families homeless after fire in nearby home

Posted: Updated:
SPRINGFIELD, MA (WSHM) -

Two families are without a home Sunday night following a fire on Oakwood Terrace.

The fire was called in right around 3:30 p.m.

Dennis Leger, aide to Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant, said that it began in a vacant home, which was the site of a fire within the last year.

The fire then spread to the duplex next door, melting the electrical wires and causing $10,000 to $15,000 in damage.

Power had to be shut off at the duplex, forcing the families, a total of two adults and four children, out of their homes.

They are being assisted by the Red Cross.

Leger said the fire is being considered suspicious and remains under investigation.

One firefighter had to be taken to the hospital to be treated for a laceration on his hand.

Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.