WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – An elderly disabled woman was rescued from her burning home on Hadley Court in Wilmington Monday afternoon following what neighbors described as an explosion in her garage.
"Everybody only has one mom, and you never want to see anything happen to them," said an emotional Darrin Leazer, whose mom was rescued from her home by a neighbor. "I can never express how much that means to me - him saving my mom's life."
Leazer said the garage where the fire started contained a car, motorcycle, sailboat, refrigerator, and freezer.
He thinks the fire damage was limited to the kitchen and garage. Leazer's mother will stay with family until she can move back into her home.
Flames spread to a neighboring home, engulfing the roof of 625 Hadley Court. As firefighters worked to battle the blaze and dozens of onlookers snapped photos with their phones.
Fire officials said the home appeared to be a total loss. Embers from the fire also burned the yard of a house on South Crestwood Road.
Video sent to the WECT newsroom shows a firefighter being injured by a falling power line on the scene.
In the video, captured by Charles Davis, you can see a line connected to the house spark and fall, striking New Hanover County Firefighter Lieutenant Robert Pate.
Pate was taken to the ER as a precaution. He was later discharged and is reportedly doing "fine."
Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.