Carbon monoxide alert! - CBS 3 Springfield - WSHM

Carbon monoxide alert!

Posted: Updated:
Carbon monoxide poisoning could happen to anyone if you're not aware. Carbon monoxide poisoning could happen to anyone if you're not aware.

Heating technicians like James Orosz of Service Air and Heating have been busy during this cold weather season making sure furnaces are not leaking carbon monoxide gas.

He has a firm reminder.

"Yes. It can be deadly," Orosz emphasized.

The reason has to do with blood cells and oxygen.

Paramedic Bryan Downy explained, "It can be very deadly. What happens is the carbon monoxide attaches to red blood cells faster than oxygen attaches to red blood cells."

The problem with carbon monoxide is it can come from so many sources like a kitchen stove, automobile exhaust or even a snow blower.

This time of year homeowners should make sure intake pipes on the furnace are not blocked on the outside by ice which could allow the tasteless odorless gas to build up inside the home.

Like 19 Action News on Facebook for the latest news, weather, sports and giveaways.

Copyright 2014 WOIO. All rights reserved.

More News




LIKE Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Get Text & Email Alerts Download our Apps Send us photos & video More>>

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.