The fire appears to have started in a laundry room before spreading to guest rooms nearby.
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -
The Red Cross is helping 19 people in Fayetteville, after fire ravaged several rooms in their motel.
The fire broke out on Saturday afternoon at the Travel Inn at 321 N Eastern Boulevard. It appears to have started in a laundry room before spreading to other rooms nearby. 41 people were displaced, 19 of whom are now staying at a Salvation Army shelter with food and clothing provided by the Red Cross.
No one was injured, but the owner of the motel is not happy with the response from fire fighters.
Mike Naik told WNCN fire fighters moved too slowly, allowing a small laundry fire to spread out of control.
"They could not do their part on time," Naik said. "They could have run in and put it away. They didn't do it."
WNCN was not able to reach a fire department spokesperson for comment on Sunday, but the department told the Fayetteville Observer crews had to wait to enter because they had a problem turning off the electricity.
Naik said several of the people displaced were long-term residents, including an elderly veteran who has called the motel home for five years.
Naik hopes to get some people back into rooms that did not sustain damage as early as Monday. Inspectors first need to determine whether it's safe to turn the power back on.
Derick is a reporter for WNCN covering crime, education, politics and just about everything in between. He has a knack for adapting to any story and consistently delivers information quickly across multiple platforms.More>>