South Hadley students sent home after classroom fills with smoke - CBS 3 Springfield - WSHM

South Hadley students sent home after classroom fills with smoke

Posted: Updated:
South Hadley High School students were sent home early Tuesday after a classroom filled up with smoke. South Hadley High School students were sent home early Tuesday after a classroom filled up with smoke.
SOUTH HADLEY, MA (WSHM) -

The school day was cut short for South Hadley High School students Tuesday after a classroom filled up with smoke because of a faulty heater.

The heating unit in Room 310 began smoking, eventually filling the entire room with smoke, which forced someone to pull the fire alarm, according to a South Hadley fire official.

Firefighters did not need to use any hoses or water as the fire was mostly extinguished upon arrival. There was a smell of smoke throughout the entire building so students were sent home early.  

Students were forced to cross Newton Street and wait on the opposite side of Route 116 until busses arrived.

Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.