Residents got a very visual lesson in fire safety on Saturday afternoon.
The Ware Fire Department held a live burn, showing how effective a sprinkler system could be in a house fire.
The first display had no sprinkler system was nearly destroyed in three and a half minutes. The second display with the sprinkler system had the fire out in just over a minute, aiding the firefighters greatly.
The department said there is a lot of value in kids seeing the demonstrations in person.
"The opportunity today to see the smoke down close to the floor level [is important]," said Ware Fire Department Chief Thomas Coulombe. "Now we can go in [to their schools], because we're starting our SAFE program, to show the kids that this is why you want to get down so low and stop, drop and roll, and crawl out from underneath the fire."
Officials said the cost of installing sprinklers in a home would be comparable to installing granite counter tops in a kitchen.
A sprinkler installer what was in attendance said the installations provide peace of mind for homeowners.
"[The National Fire Protection Association] has no documentation of more than two people dying in a fully-sprinkled facility," said Daniel Belanger. "That's a good enough fact for me that sprinklers save lives. From [today's] demonstration, you'll see that if you have sprinklers in your home, it's a survivable environment during a fire."
As part of Saturday's event, Lowe's donated free smoke detectors to anyone in attendance who wanted them.
Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.