The Springfield Fire Department said kitchen fires were the No. 1 cause of fire calls Monday. According to Dennis Leger, aide to Springfield Commissioner Joseph A. Conant, more than 60 percent of all fire calls in Springfield were due to fires related to cooking. Some fires were due to people leaving food on a stove unattended. Others were due to oil or grease. Still others were caused by flammable items like pot holders or dish towels.
Leger said it was important to keep the area around a stove clear and clean. He said there were two deaths in Springfield since August. In both cases he said the fires were caused by unattended food being cooked.
Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.