Every year, the Springfield Fire Department and other city officials hold a press conference getting the word out about their free smoke detector installation program.
One was just held in March, but after the recent death of a Springfield woman, they're reinstating importance of the detectors.
Springfield resident, Dorothy Lee, 65, was killed in her Tumbleweed Road home after an early morning fire broke out inside.
Fire officials said there were no working smoke detectors in the home. Because of that, they're once again reaching out to residents about the seriousness of smoke detectors.
Springfield Fire Marshal David Rivera said the majority of home fires happen at night when people are asleep and having a working smoke alarm in your home can double your chances of survival.
"They've been proven to save lives. Since 1970s when these devices were introduced. Home fire deaths have been reduced by 50 percent," said Rivera.
On Friday afternoon, officials took to the steps of Springfield City Hall to revisit a program geared toward elderly residents when it comes to fire safety.
"It involves installation of smoke and [carbon monoxide] detectors in the homes of the elderly," explained Rivera.
The program is run through the city's Elders' Affairs Office and allows for any homeowner 60 years old or older to have smoke detectors installed into their homes for free.
"All they have to do is call 311 and we will schedule someone to go out there and place smoke detectors in each and every one of the floors in their homes that they own," said director of elders' affairs, Janet Rodriguez-Denny.
City officials said they're showcasing the free smoke-detector installation program in an effort to save lives.
"We want to make sure that our seniors are equipped with smoke detectors," said Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno.
"Our first concern is that our elders are safe," said Rodriguez-Denny.
Multi-family homeowners are also eligible for the program.
The services are available anytime throughout the year.
Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.