Admitted serial arsonist Anthony Baye stood before a courtroom filled with fire victims, their families and first responders Wednesday morning as he learned his fate.
The 28-year-old was sentenced to a minimum of 19 years and a maximum of 20 years in prison followed by 15 years of probation with multiple conditions.
"I've never had a case where I truly felt the community had been victimized as much as this case. And so all of us felt it as we worked on the case, all of us were determined to be successful and all of us are very pleased and very proud at this result," said prosecutor Brett Vottero.
Prior to sentencing, many victims - including widow Elaine Yeskie, whose husband and son were killed in one of the fires - addressed the judge.
"There isn't anything that Paul Sr. Or Paul Jr. wouldn't do for someone," Yeskie told the judge.
Other victims, including Naomi Cairns, spoke up as well, telling the court that Baye's actions caused her to sleep in constant fear.
"I will continue to work on and manage my own reaction to this experience," said Cairns. "But, Anthony, I want an apology."
"The only thing that I can add at this point is how terribly sorry he is for the pain he has caused all of the people involved in this case," said defense attorney David Hoose.
In a press conference after court, Yeskie thanked all those who made the conviction possible.
"I just want to thank everyone of you, from the bottom of my heart," said Yeskie.
Her granddaughter said the trial coming to a close is bittersweet.
"It's nice to hear that he is taking credit for what he has done but at the same time you can never get back what is lost," said Erica Desreuisseau.
The judge as well as other officials, including District Attorney David Sullivan, stressed how much the community came together throughout the arson spree to help make the conviction possible.
Baye will be receiving credit for time served so he will be able to get out of prison in the next 17 or 18 years.
Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:08 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:08:09 GMT
(WMC) - WMC Action News 5 has uncovered disturbing new details of the allegations behind the rape charge against a Mid-South millionaire businessman. WMC Action News 5's Nick Kenney took the new informationMore >>
Twenty toothbrushes, eight flash drives, four guns, nipple clamps, sex toys, lingerie: those are just a few of the items seized from the property of a Memphis businessman charged with rape. More >>
Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:17 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:17:13 GMT
Myrtle Beach (SC)- Event Organizers for Myrtle Beach Mustang Week are upset by the videos hitting Facebook and YouTube. Founder and President of Extreme Productions Inc. with Mustang Week, Rodney Melton,More >>
Event organizers for Myrtle Beach Mustang Week are upset by videos hitting Facebook and YouTube showing reckless driving. More >>
A federal judge has given fashion jewelry maker Alex and Ani (AH'-nee) the go-ahead to sue BJ's Wholesale Club and others over $1 million worth of charm bracelets it says it was tricked into selling at...More >>
A federal judge has given fashion jewelry maker Alex and Ani (AH'-nee) the go-ahead to sue BJ's Wholesale Club and others over $1 million worth of charm bracelets it says it was tricked into selling at discount...More >>
Monday, July 21 2014 5:42 PM EDT2014-07-21 21:42:47 GMT
The Ludlow Police Department told CBS 3 that crews are responding to a domestic situation on Helena Street, which involved a report of shots being fired.Police could not provide any further details asMore >>
Shortly before 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, police were called to Helena Street after receiving multiple 911 calls.More >>