On Nov. 23 of last year, a natural gas explosion leveled a gentlemen's club and damaged dozens of buildings downtown.
Sunday, after much work and renovation, the Springfield Rescue Mission officially reopened the doors to its emergency shelter on Taylor Street.
The building had been closed since the explosion, leaving up to 60 people looking for other places to stay this winter.
Those in charge are happy to see things up and running again.
"A good square meal, clean facilities, just hopefully a pleasant place where they can not only have a good, clean place to stay, but a place where they can know that people care about them," said Ron Willoughby, the shelter's executive director. "[We want to] see them advance and find God's plan for their life."
Rescue mission officials added that Columbia Gas was instrumental in getting the shelter back up and running.
The state fire marshal said a mistake by a gas company worker led to the leak that caused the explosion.
Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.