One person sent to hospital following early morning fire - CBS 3 Springfield - WSHM

One person sent to hospital following early morning fire in Chicopee

Posted: Updated:
CHICOPEE, MA (WSHM) -

A man was sent to the hospital following an early morning fire in Chicopee.

Deputy Fire Chief Dean Desmarais tells CBS 3 a neighbor alerted the fire department early Friday morning after noticing flames at the home next door.

When officials arrived on scene to 24 Bernard St., they pulled one person out of the home.

That individual was sent to Baystate Medical Center; the extent of his injuries are unknown at this time.

Desmarais says the man was the only one inside when the fire broke out.

Officials believe the fire was accidental.

"It appears as though a deterioration of the motor within the chimney, the fire place chimney system, had led to the ability of the hot flue gases to ignite the combustible wood framing around the chimney," said Desmarais.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.