Overloaded electrical circuit starts Ware house fire - CBS 3 Springfield - WSHM

Overloaded electrical circuit starts Ware house fire

Posted: Updated:
WARE, MA (WSHM) -

Firefighters say an overloaded circuit breaker started a fire in the attic of a home on East Street in Ware Friday night.

Ware firefighters were able to contain the flames to the attic. The fire caused around $20,000 in damage. 

The family of five that lives in the home will not be able to stay there tonight and are getting help from the American Red Cross.

There is water damage in the home but it is not a total loss.

Firefighters say this type of electrical fire should be a lesson to all.

"We're all trying to stay warm in this frigid weather but we got to make sure we doing it safely and that includes wood stoves, pellet stoves, and that we're keeping a 3 foot radius around it with non combustibles," said Chief Thomas Coulombe.

The Red Cross is also helping firefighters with snacks, coffee and water.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.