Cat to blame for apartment fire in Springfield - CBS 3 Springfield - WSHM

Cat to blame for apartment fire in Springfield

Posted: Updated:
SPRINGFIELD, MA (WSHM) -

A pet cat is to blame for a fire inside an apartment that started just before midnight Friday night.

Dennis Leger, aide to Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant, told CBS 3 that the resident inside an apartment at 149 Sumner Ave. said his cat knocked over a candle onto the bed in the front bedroom.

The 40-unit apartment complex was evacuated for approximately one hour.

Damage to the single apartment is estimated at $20,000 to $25,000.

That resident is the only person displaced, but he declined Red Cross assistance.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.