With New Year's Eve right around the corner, Massachusetts state police are reminding drivers that they will be out in force to combat drinking and driving.
At a press conference Friday, police were joined by Barbara Riley, whose son was killed by a drunken driver.
"The hole in your heart never closes, and that's one of the reasons why I can't impress upon people enough - do not drink and drive," said Riley.
Riley's 19-year-old son Michael was killed in 2008.
"The loss is just, I just miss him to this day," said Riley.
And as New Year's Eve, a holiday notorious for drinking, approaches, Riley decided to join forces with the state police in an effort to stop people from getting behind the wheel drunk.
"Whether you're young, you're old, you're middle aged, do not drink and drive," said Riley.
State police have amped up their coverage this holiday season as part of their Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over initiative. The statewide effort began on Dec 12.
"The Massachusetts State Police is committed to proactive enforcement of motor vehicle laws on our state highways," said state police superintendent Col. Timothy Alben. "Our goal is to remove dangerous and drunken drivers from our roads before they hit anyone and cause a tragedy."
So far this year the state police have arrested almost 5,000 people for drunken driving. That's an increase of around 1,000 from the same time last year. And as the New Year approaches, police are urging the public to make smart decisions.
"Plan ahead. If you are drinking, do not drive. Designate a sober driver or arrange another safe way home," said Karen Wells, the Under Secretary of Law Enforcement.
"It's a small price to pay - a taxi ride will save somebody's life," said Alben. "And we want everyone to think about that going into Monday night."
Back in March, 200 new troopers joined the state police. Those additional members are helping the force to increase their coverage throughout the holiday.
Copyright 2012 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:08 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:08:09 GMT
(WMC) - WMC Action News 5 has uncovered disturbing new details of the allegations behind the rape charge against a Mid-South millionaire businessman. WMC Action News 5's Nick Kenney took the new informationMore >>
Twenty toothbrushes, eight flash drives, four guns, nipple clamps, sex toys, lingerie: those are just a few of the items seized from the property of a Memphis businessman charged with rape. More >>
Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:17 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:17:13 GMT
Myrtle Beach (SC)- Event Organizers for Myrtle Beach Mustang Week are upset by the videos hitting Facebook and YouTube. Founder and President of Extreme Productions Inc. with Mustang Week, Rodney Melton,More >>
Event organizers for Myrtle Beach Mustang Week are upset by videos hitting Facebook and YouTube showing reckless driving. More >>
A federal judge has given fashion jewelry maker Alex and Ani (AH'-nee) the go-ahead to sue BJ's Wholesale Club and others over $1 million worth of charm bracelets it says it was tricked into selling at...More >>
A federal judge has given fashion jewelry maker Alex and Ani (AH'-nee) the go-ahead to sue BJ's Wholesale Club and others over $1 million worth of charm bracelets it says it was tricked into selling at discount...More >>
Monday, July 21 2014 5:42 PM EDT2014-07-21 21:42:47 GMT
The Ludlow Police Department told CBS 3 that crews are responding to a domestic situation on Helena Street, which involved a report of shots being fired.Police could not provide any further details asMore >>
Shortly before 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, police were called to Helena Street after receiving multiple 911 calls.More >>