Four adults and five children were displaced on Christmas Eve after a two family home in Springfield caught on fire Monday afternoon.
When firefighters first responded to the home at 185-187 Northampton Ave. it was for a basement fire.
But by the time they got there, flames were bellowing out of the attic, sending clouds of dark smoke up into the sky.
All nine people inside, including five kids, were able to escape unharmed.
Neighbors watched nearby as the flames quickly rose from the basement and spread through the home.
"I went inside for a second, I came out and it's like the whole house is like going down," said Tiara Davis who lives nearby.
Multiple crews were called into fight the blaze, but firefighters say once flames climb to higher floors, they have to attack defensively.
"They go up there they try to stop it from getting higher, but if it gets up into the attic quickly, you're just playing catch up on the thing," said Dennis Leger, executive aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner.
Two horn blasts called firefighters out of the building two separate times, forcing them to fight defensively from the ladder.
"The commander there obviously felt that there was some sort of a dangerous condition there that he wants everyone out to take a look," Leger said.
Just two weeks ago a house across the street at 184 Northampton Ave. caught on fire from faulty electrical work, leaving nine homeless.
Neighbors say it's tough to watch friends go through these times during the holidays.
"It's sad definitely because it's the day before Christmas and they're losing everything and the fire that just happened here just two weeks ago so it's crazy," Davis said.
The Red Cross is assisting those displaced. Fire officials are still working to figure out the cause.
Copyright 2012 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.