For the second time in less than 24 hours, the Springfield Fire Department had to deal with a serious electrical fire.
This time around, at least 12 people have been displaced due to the blaze.
The call came in just before 12:30 a.m. Sunday.
Firefighters responded to 22-24 Medford St.
Dennis Leger, aide to Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant, told CBS 3 that the cause of the fire is electrical.
Leger said that arson investigators found older wires in the ceiling between the second and third floors.
That wiring was damaged with a hole on the side.
In all, the fire caused an estimated $75,000 in damage.
Sunday morning in the daylight, the destruction from the fire was very visible. There was plenty of damage to the roof and upper levels of the three-family home.
Leger said a total of 12 people, three adults on the first floor and two adults and seven children on the second, were displaced by the fire.
They are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
Saturday morning, the fire department worked an electrical fire at 184 Northampton St. that caused approximately $100,000 in damage.
Copyright 2012 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.