Firefighters responded to a fire at 103 Newton St. just after 11:30 a.m. Saturday morning.
Lt. Thomas Paquin of the Holyoke Fire Department told CBS 3 that when crews first arrived, fire was visible out of the first and second floor windows.
Paquin said the cause of the fire was a malfunctioning gas-fired space heater.
The three people who live in the building got out OK, but will have to stay with relatives for the time being.
A next-door neighbor has also been displaced temporarily due to smoke damage.
The neighbor is being assisted by the American Red Cross.
Copyright 2012 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
They told CBS 3 that 39-year-old Israel Lopez had assaulted his girlfriend, then returned to the scene at Morgan Street Apartments a short time later with what appeared to be a shotgun.More >>
Several cities and towns across the pioneer valley paid tribute on Saturday to those who served our country and made the ultimate sacrifice 72 years ago.More >>
The apartment complex at 71 Adams Street, which is part of the Cross Town Corners properties, was back open for business.More >>