CBS 3 was with Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno when the massive Worthington Street explosion happened.
It happened only a few blocks away from where the mayor was attending a tree lighting in the Springfield quadrangle.
Immediately he knew it was the result of a gas leak at Scores Gentlemen's Club.
CBS 3 followed him as he arrived on the scene.
From the first steps it was clear the massive blast had impacted more than a dozen surrounding buildings.
"It was just like 'boom' this huge explosion," said Omar Fermin, manager at Punta Cana.
The business is along Chestnut Street and he was inside as the explosion rocked the whole area, spreading shards of glass along the sidewalks and streets.
"It was like an underground explosion. I'm still shaking," he said.
Other onlookers stood helplessly at the caution tape, worried about friends and family inside the impacted zone.
"I know some friends who work around the area. I happened to hear the explosion all the way over on Oak Grove by Bay Street and I came down to see how everyone was," said Raymond Torres, an onlooker.
Another group of friends was visiting from out of town. They were just steps away when the explosion happened.
"It felt like the roof was just going to cave in on us and we shook," said Wendy Garbarino.
There is nothing but a black hole where Scores stood. One man was one of the first to arrive after the explosion.
"I asked people what happened, they didn't know. I went down the street, they said that the building Scores had blown up and about 55 people were in the building at the time," said Bernard Thomas.
Now more than a dozen surrounding buildings are significantly damaged.
Police said they have a looting prevention squad on the streets to protect these now damaged businesses.
At a press conference, Lt. Gov. Tim Murray called the explosion a miracle after no one was killed.
However, the explosion will impact this area for weeks to come.
"Oh my god - just look at my business, all our businesses," said Fermin.
The mayor says it's hard to tell right now how many residents have been displaced but there is a shelter open for affected residents at Central High School.
Copyright 2012 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.