Southampton fire officials told CBS 3 that a man is lucky to be alive Monday night, after the car he was working on ignited in flames.
It happened at 104 Fomer Rd. just after 3 p.m.
Officials said the man was working on his car when a build-up of fuel vapors ignited, rapidly catching fire.
The man was able to extinguish the flames before the fire department arrived, but is suffering from severe burns.
He was taken to Baystate Medical Center and then life-flighted to Mass General Hospital.
Officials are not releasing his name or his condition at this time.
Copyright 2012 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.